Tuesday 14 July 2009

Arrival - Episode 5 - Part II



Barry still hadn’t shown up and the awkward silences were getting lengthier and lengthier. Paige felt that she needed to back her corner.



“I’m sorry.” She said. Everyone else looked up at her surprised. “Barry told me that you all knew I was coming. I had no idea that you would be clueless as to my arrival. Barry and I have been getting along great in the short time we have known each other and I would rather not pass up on this opportunity to get to know his friends.”



“Wait until you get to know the real Barry.” Kevin snorted. “Come on; let’s get all this stuff in the car.”



Emilie walked up to Paige with a sympathetic look on her face. “I have no idea what’s going on with everyone – they wouldn’t normally act like this around one of Barry’s girlfriends. Just ignore them, you’ll be travelling with Ben, Barry and I.”
Paige forced a smile. Ben gave her a sly wink.




Once the entirety of the luggage had been forced into the boot of Kevin’s car, he and Leona sat in the driver and passenger seats respectively.




Emilie, Ben and Paige sat in Ben’s car and waited for Barry to arrive so that they could load the drink into the car and get going.




Finally, after a fair few minutes of waiting, Barry’s car appeared on the horizon.




Ben and Kevin jumped out of the cars to help Barry unload his own.




Barry and Kevin’s eyes met awkwardly and Kevin threw him a disgusted look before turning to walk away.
“Er… Kevin?”
Kevin span back around, surprised.




“It’ll be safe to leave my car here won’t it?” Barry asked looking pointedly at the car park.
“I leave my car here all the time don’t I?” Kevin answered with his nose in the air.




“What did he say?” Leona asked cautiously when Kevin had sat back in the driver’s seat.
“Oh, nothing important. Can you believe he brought a girl that none of us know on holiday? This is supposed to be a friend thing.” He snarled, shrugging his shoulders.
Leona looked out of the window and said nothing.




“Are we going anytime today?” Kevin roared banging his palms against the steering wheel. “Ah, Finally!” He yelled as the car in front began to slowly lurch forwards.




Paige leaned over in the back seat and snarled in Barry’s ear so that Ben and Emilie could not hear.
“I can’t believe you didn’t tell your friends I was coming.”




Barry just gave her an apologetic look. “I didn’t know how.”
Paige folded her arms and looked out of the window.




“You know, I’ve been thinking…” Leona began. “I think I recognise Barry’s new girlfriend from somewhere. In fact, I know I’ve seen her before.” She added as if saying it aloud confirmed her suspicion.




“I think you’re talking rubbish.” Kevin replied as he indicated and pulled into a different lane.
“Kevin, I’m being serious. I know her from somewhere.”
“If you know her then surely I know her?” He asked.
“Exactly.”“Well, I don’t.” He replied. “Know her, I mean. I’ve never seen her before.”




“I think your jealousy is blinding you, Kevin.”




Kevin’s head spun around so fast that Leona was surprised his neck didn’t snap.“Jealousy?!” He asked incredulously. “What jealousy? Of Paige?” He guffawed.
Leona nodded. “It’s understandable, you know, it’s natural that you would want to have some time to get to know Barry again, maybe form a relationship.”
Kevin grunted.




“You’re going the wrong way.” Emilie’s sing song voice rang out.“No I’m not Emilie, and, if I am, it’s your fault; you’re the one with the map.”
“And I’m telling you you’re going the wrong way, and, since I’m the one with the map you should trust me.” She reached up and nibbled his ear. The car swerved, but Ben managed to control it and set it back on its path.
“Oh, wait, we are going the right way. I had the map the wrong way.” She let out a long, low giggle.




“I seriously hope we are going to get there soon.” Barry mumbled from the back seat. “I don’t know how much more of these two I can take. It’s fine in the open, but this is such a confined space. And I’d rather have less of the near death experiences too.” He added, raising his voice at the end.


Paige refused to laugh, still annoyed at him for letting her walk into an ambush.



They arrived at the cottage as the sun hung low in the sky, its brilliant pink and orange light poking through the tops of the trees.


“Jesus Christ Kevin! I know we had a cottage but I had no idea it would be as amazing as this at such short notice!”
“Makes you wonder why it wasn’t snapped up doesn’t it?” Kevin asked eerily.
Leona gave him a light dig in the arm. “You always need to find something wrong don’t you?”



Kevin got out of the car and walked around to the back and began to unload everybody’s luggage onto the damp grass, which had been, surprisingly, cut back and the grounds were very well taken care of.



Ben and Barry got out of the car and stretched their legs out and quickly began unloading the drink and the rest of the luggage.



The girls were already up at the front door, looking up at excitedly as it towered over them, although the trees loomed even higher.



“Welcome.” A voice said. “My name is Bella and I am caretaker of the house and grounds. I live in the little annex at the back of the house; so, if you need anything don’t hesitate to call me. I’m sure you will enjoy your stay here.” She dug her hand into her pocket. “I guess all that is left to say is; here is the key, take care of it for two weeks. Enjoy.”



Leona forced the key into the lock, her hand shaking with excitement; she couldn’t wait to see what it looked like on the inside. The door opened and everyone gasped – the house was lavishly decorated throughout. The centrepiece of it all was the main stairwell which wound up the left side of the living room and over the arch which led to the kitchen.




Barry headed straight for the kitchen, which was directly in front of them through the door under the main stairwell, to dump the bags of alcohol onto the counter. He was quickly followed by Emilie who began to unpack them and stock up the fridge while cracking open a bottle of Smirnoff Vodka.


“Who wants a drink?” She called out.



2 hours later…



Paige was sat on Barry’s knee, all of her annoyances clearly washed away by the amount of alcohol she had consumed. She had her head resting on his shoulder and kept leaning up to nibble on his earlobe which seemed to make him stiffen and become rather uncomfortable, Kevin noticed.



Kevin was sitting in an armchair just a little out of the way of everyone else; his eyes were fixed on Barry, his drink in his hand rarely moving to his lips. He furrowed his eyebrows as Paige took Barry’s hand and began to run her fingers along his palm. Barry glanced up quickly, his eyes met Kevin’s, and pulled his hand away before standing up.


“I’m going to get some more drinks, anybody want one?” He asked looking at Kevin pointedly.
“I’ll help you.” Kevin said in reply standing up awkwardly and getting everyone’s orders.



They walked to the kitchen together.



Barry turned to Kevin as soon as they were out of earshot. “Look, Kevin, you can’t keep doing this.”
“Doing what?” Kevin replied innocently, puffing out his chest and leaning in.
“Oh, great, you’re drunk. Look, you’re making me uncomfortable when you keep looking at me like that.”



Kevin laughed. “Seems to me that it was Paige who was making you uncomfortable.”
“Only because you kept staring.” Barry fumed. “I’m with Paige now Kevin, so you need to get over whatever fantasy it is that you have. I can’t be with you, I’m sorry for that, and I’m sorry if I have given you reason to believe that something could happen. It can’t. I couldn’t hurt Paige like that.”



“Why are you deluding yourself?” Kevin blurted out. “You can have me right now. I’m yours. You’ve only known Paige a few days; you aren’t anything serious; I’m sure she would understand.”



Kevin clutched his stomach. “Ohmigod, I think I’m going to be sick.” He gasped.



Meanwhile…

“I take it Barry and Kevin have a bit of history.” Paige asked as they waited on their drinks.



Leona snorted. “History, I think, would be a bit of an understatement.”


“Yeah.” Emilie interrupted. “Barry bullied Kevin in high school.”
Leona laughed out loud now. “And as if that was the end of it!”

Ben looked at Leona confused but quickly looked at Paige and saw the same look he expressed on her face.



He patted her on the shoulder.
“Best not to dwell on it.” He slurred. “It’s probably nothing.” He leaned on her and inhaled her gorgeous smell. “Your hair is really beautiful.”
“Thanks.” Paige replied, embarrassed, pulling her hair back away from him and eyeing Emilie cautiously.



“Guys, I need your help. Kevin just threw up all over me and passed out.” Barry called as he came back into the room.
“Looks like someone had too much to drink!” Ben laughed as he quickly got up and went to help Barry carry Kevin up to bed.



When they were gone Paige leaned forward to talk to Leona while Emilie fiddled with the CD player, pretending not to be listening.
“What did you mean? What went on between Barry and Kevin? Does it explain Kevin’s hostility towards me?”

Leona laughed hysterically. “I would think so! You see – hold on, did Kevin just pass out?”
“Er, yeah.” Paige replied her eyebrows rose slightly.
“I’d best get up and lie with him.”

“Ew!” Emilie interrupted. “He will smell of sick!”“Emilie, he’s my best friend. Wouldn’t you do the same for Ben?” She paused.



“Actually don’t answer that.” She added, getting up from the floor.



When she reached the landing Ben was just going back down the stairs. “I think it’s time we all went to bed.” He said. Leona nodded.
Leona was just about to go into Kevin’s room when she heard the muffled voices of Kevin and Barry.



She turned around to go to her own room when the door was pulled open and Barry was stood there startled by her presence.
“I can’t do it anymore Leona, he is unbelievable!” He said angrily.



“He is wasted Barry. Can’t you two just make up in the morning?”
“Leona. I need your help. Can we talk?”

“Just one more song!” Emilie whined. “I don’t want to go to bed yet.”


“You shouldn’t be this difficult Emilie; you haven’t even had a drop to drink.”
She shrugged her shoulders. “I’m having fun, besides it was nice of you to help me not drink.” She added sarcastically. She quickly turned the music up full blast.


“Right, I’m going up to bed.” Paige shouted over the music. “See you tomorrow.”


“Goodnight Paige.” Ben said leaning over and kissing her on the cheek.



He received a glare from Emilie for that.


Kevin sat up in bed. The loud thumping music had awoken him. How long had he been asleep? He didn’t even remember getting into bed.



He put his feet on the floor, the room was spinning.



He opened the door and his eyes stung as they adjusted to the light.
When he was able to focus, he got the biggest shock of his life. Leona was stood outside her bedroom door in her pyjamas… in the arms of a shirtless Barry.



Kevin’s eyes flew in the direction of the stairs where a red head just peeked out over the top step, completely still.

1 comment:

  1. That was a great read, Sam! Things are starting to pick up and get fun now!

    My favorite part was between Emilie and Ben when she tried to tell him in a sing-song voice, “You’re going the wrong way," then giggled when she realized she had the map upside-down. That was a cute bit of humor there! : )

    ReplyDelete