Friday 20 March 2009

Cancelled - Episode 3



Barry opened his eyes which stung with the harsh light that pierced through the windows. He moaned in pain as his hand flew up and clasped his forehead – last night must have been good, his head was pounding.



He sat up, still clutching his forehead and felt himself gag.



He ran to the toilet to throw up.




When he came back into his bedroom he found someone lying in his bed, and it wasn’t him.



She had this dazzling red hair that was cascaded all over his pillow and her naked body encased in the bed sheets. She looked so serene and he didn’t want to wake her but he didn’t even know who she was.



He shook her lightly and her eyes flickered open – those eyes! They were dark and all consuming… this woman was a beauty, but where had he found her? He looked into her eyes again and he remembered.



“Hi, I’m Paige.” She said shaking his hand.
“Barry.” He replied without even glancing in her direction, he had lost his usual cockiness and had forgotten to tell her to call him Baz.
“What are you drinking?” She asked politely, in an obvious attempt to get the conversation going.
“Vodka.”



“So, Barry, what’s got you so down in the dumps?” She was innocent, he liked that.
“Nothing worth talking about.” He replied, smiling, and took a look at her. She was gorgeous; her red hair framing that beautiful face and those eyes. The eyes that looked like they went on for miles. “You have beautiful eyes.” He said.
“Sorry, but obvious attempts at flattery don’t get you into my bed.” She giggled, before looking away and ordering a drink.



“How about my bed then?” Barry asked.
“I don’t sleep with people on a first date.” She replied quickly.
“But for me you’d make an exception, right? Besides we’re not even on a date.” He grinned sideways at her and she blushed.



“I suppose you’re right… I’ll get my jacket.”



And he had brought her back here. But had they managed to do anything? Had he shagged her brains out? He hoped he had shown her that he was all man… hopefully he hadn’t had Kevin on his mind.



“Hi, Barry.” She smiled. “Last night was amazing.” She held the covers up above her chest as she sat up.
“Paige, last night was… I wasn’t feeling myself so if anything was a bit… off, then that’s why.” Barry said nervously scratching the back of his neck.“Barry, everything was totally on.” Paige giggled.



Barry sat down on the bed beside her. “So, when is this trip, the holiday in the cottage with you and your friends?”
“Er next week… Monday next week… if we find a cottage. Why?”
“Well I need to get ready.” Paige rested her head on Barry’s shoulder and looked up at him.



“Paige, what are you talking about?” Barry asked, moving away from her.



“You invited me to come with you last night, don’t you remember? We were both sat on the end of your bed and you started talking about how awkward it was going to be since you weren’t all friends and then you asked me if I wanted to come along as well.” Paige curled her knees up under her and looking at him intensely hoping he hadn’t changed his mind, or worse, didn’t remember inviting her in the first place.
“Look, Paige… it’s…”



“It’s Ok.” Paige interrupted. “You were probably out of line inviting me when they’re your friends.” Paige got out of bed and began to pick her clothes up from the floor – what little there were. Barry watched her; he had completely embarrassed her. Guilt flooded his stomach.



“Paige, look, you can come if you want. I mean, I want you to come. I’ll just let Emilie know now so that everyone is prepared Ok?” Barry asked, hoping she would say yes, but also hoping she would say no – things were weird enough as it was.



“Thanks, Barry. Of course I’ll come. If you give me your number I’ll call you Sunday night to confirm times and meeting places.”



Emilie woke up to find herself in bed with Ben. How she got there she didn’t know, she was still in her bathrobe and was lying as far away from his sleeping form as she could without falling out of the bed.



She slowly lifted the covers and gently swung her legs over the side of the bed and got out without waking him. She picked up some clothes that she had left draped over the chair and exited the room quietly, closing the door behind her with the faintest click.



She let out a deep breath once she was in the safety of the living room, pulled her clothes on and raked her fingers through her hair.



Then she quickly and quietly left the apartment and crossed over the hall to Leona’s.


Leona’s eyes shot open to a loud banging on her door. She inhaled deeply, blinking profusely before bringing her hand to her face to rub the sleep from her eyes.



The loud banging ensued. What time was it? Early, and that was all she could tell. More banging.



“Alright, I’m coming!” She yelled as she threw herself out of the warm and comfortable bed, placing her feet on the cold floor. Was it the landlord? She hadn’t received a notice. Pulling her bathrobe around her she stumbled to the front door and looked out of the peep hole.



What did Emilie want at this time of the morning?
Leona unlocked the door and opened it.
“Em, what on earth are you doing here?” She groaned. “I was sleeping.”
“Sorry, Leona, but it’s better than me coming in at half one in the morning last night isn’t it?” Emilie’s eyes were still red and puffy from where she had been crying.


“Why, what happened?”
Emilie sat down and didn’t say anything.
“Em, tell me. If it’s that jerk again I am going to have to say something this time. I’m sorry but it’s just not acceptable behaviour!”
“Leona, I’m pregnant.” Emilie said. Leona stood with her mouth agape.
“I’ll make some coffee.”


Kevin sat at the table drinking a coffee. He heard the loud banging from next door but after poking his head around the door and seeing Emilie looking so upset, decided it was best if he didn’t get involved. The hot coffee burned his throat as he took a larger swig than he expected.



Coughing, her got up and poured the rest of the coffee down the sink – he was only drinking it because he didn’t get much sleep. The sink gurgled as he watched the dark coffee swirl down the drain. His eyes drooped, but there was a light tap on the door.



Kevin opened the door, expecting Emilie and Leona to be standing there, but it was Ben. “Hey, Kevin, sorry to bother you so early in the morning… can I come in?”



Kevin opened the door wider and stood back so Ben could get by.
“Me and Emilie… we had a fight last night.”
“Yeah, I gathered that – saw her going to Leona’s early this morning.” Kevin replied.
“Do you mind if I talk to you about it?”



Kevin’s initial though was ‘yes I do mind,’ hearing about other people’s relationship problems were really not his favourite thing to listen to. Even though they have the perfect thing someone always has to turn around and ruin it.


“Sure, have a seat. Do you want some coffee? I’ve already made some.”
“No. Thanks.” Ben mustered a smile. “I think it would send me to sleep. I’ve been tossing and turning all night.”



Kevin sat down next to him, and watched him intently.
“I found out she was pregnant…”
“Emilie’s pregnant?” Kevin gasped. He had not been expecting that.



“Well, I found the test last week, waited for her to tell me… hoped that she would tell me. I told her last night that I knew, and she… she wants to get rid of it. I don’t know if I can let her… I know it’ll ruin her school but it’s a baby. You know?” Ben inhaled deeply. “I went off on one at her. What if she doesn’t forgive me?”



Kevin sat in silence; he honestly had no idea what to say.



“I get it, Kevin. You are better friends with Emilie than you are with me, you’re naturally going to side with her, and I just had to tell somebody. Thanks for, you know… listening.” Ben got up and slowly headed to the door with his head down.

“Yeah… no! Ben. I’m not siding with anybody.”
Ben turned around.



“This isn’t about sides, it’s about a life. You need to talk to Emilie – without shouting, without fighting – about this; she needs to know how you feel about it. If you think that you can bring this baby up together… then tell her you think so. You have to make sure that she doesn’t have to sacrifice her schooling – you know how important it is to her.”
Ben nodded as if considering something.

“Thanks Kevin, you’ve been helpful.”
“It’s no trouble.” Kevin waved an airy hand. “I guess this means the trip is off, huh?” He joked.
“I’ll let you know.” Ben answered, smiling. He pulled Kevin into a quick hug and turned around to leave.



“Ben?”
Ben turned again to face Kevin.
“Just let her know you love her.”


Leona finished her coffee and put her mug down on the table.
“So you want to get rid of it and he doesn’t?”



“I don’t know what he wants.” Emilie answered exasperatedly. “He hasn’t been speaking to me.”



Leona caressed the edge of her mug with her fingers.
“Well, at least we know why he has been being a jerk… but you really should have told him Emilie.”
Emilie hung her head.
“I know.” She banged a fist onto the table. “I know. But what if he makes me keep it? Leona I have the rest of my life to think about here!”


Leona looked up, she couldn’t believe she was going to try and persuade her sister to have a baby. “You have the baby’s whole life to think about too…”



Emilie eyes narrowed and she stood up angrily.
“I’m not saying you should definitely have it, Emilie.” Leona said quickly. “I’m just saying you should think about this seriously, it’s not a decision you can make lightly.”



Emilie flew around.
“Don’t you think I know that? Do you think I’m fucking stupid? I am well aware, thank you very much, of the seriousness of my situation. What do you know about it anyway? You’ve never been in a relationship. The closest you’ve come to being with a guy is hugging Kevin, and he’s gay!”



Leona’s eyes burned as her cheeks flushed red.
“Well… thanks Em, t-thanks for telling me exactly what you think of me.”


“Looks like the trip is off doesn’t it?” Emilie spat.
“Sure does. Can you leave now please? I need to get dressed.”



Emilie stormed out of the apartment slamming the door behind her while Leona ran into her bedroom and collapsed on the bed in floods of tears.

8 comments:

  1. I really liked this chapter! A lot of emotion and lots of confusion with Barry.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashley!
    Barry is definitely confused, you can be assured that he will find himself soon :D

    Thanks for leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Emilie is a bundle of emotions right now. I know that women go through a lot of changes during pregnancy. Still, she shouldn't have hurt her sister's feelings like that. That was pretty low.

    Emilie seems to think everyone is against her. I don't know how Ben is going to be able to talk to her since she seems so very defensive and touchy on the subject. I hope she doesn't decide to abort the baby. I've heard so many inhuman horror stories about what a baby fetus goes through when they are are aborted... I have become very much pro-life, depending on the circumstances. They could always give the baby away for adoption. There are lots of caring people out there who can't have children and would love the opportunity to adopt. I hope she opts to do that at least, rather than kill it. The poor little thing. :(

    And Barry... beautiful redhead. That was funny how he woke up and found her in his bed - and he didn't remember how she got there! Now, she's coming with them for the trip and he's not sure whether he really wants her to or not! LOL!

    Are you sure they're going on a vacation??? It sounds like they're all going to have a great time... that is, if they don't kill each other first! LOL! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, thanks for reading Tammy! :D

    Well she only found out that she was pregnant a week ago and right now she feels as if everyone is trying to force her into having this baby. She is just at the end of her second year at University so she doesn't want to jeopardize her future by letting the pregnancy get too far. So yes, she is a bundle of emotions right now.

    I think you got it spot on. Emilie feels that everyone is against her. We'll see about the whole Ben thing... perhaps we will learn more about their type of relationship when he talks to her? ;)

    Yes, Barry and his promiscuous sex. I think he thought there would be no commitments like how he expected him and Kevin to be. Looks like he got more than he bargained for with Paige! LOL!

    Yep, they leave for Vacation in Chapter 5. I've finally gotten around to getting them just there! Woot!
    Well, this Vacation is definitely going to be interesting... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh oh!!! What a complete mess...

    First Paige and Baz!!! I can't believe she went with him... hahaha what a strange girl!!! It was obvious she was looking for a man, the talk, the flirting, and everything else... I wonder if she has something planned.... she seems fishy to me, I don't know why... she just does...

    About Emilie... I think she needs to grow up... I don't know what time she is living on... but come on... we are not in the era when women had babies and then did nothing for their lives... she can go to college leave a month or two before the baby is born and then after a month or two go back to school!!!
    With all the friends she has I bet they will be happy to help her... but oh well every head is a world... not all of us think the same way...
    she is indeed very confused right now...poor Leona she paid for the broken dishes... (hope you understand that expression, I literaly translated it from spanish, meaning she tried to help and she ended up being yelled at)

    Kevin really does need to sit down and take to his crazy girl... maybe they can work things out...
    if she doesn't want the baby, she can give it up for adoption... she really need to google the subject and find out her options!!! she seems to be lost in time!!

    Great update Sam, I really enjoyed every bit of it! your characters are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, poor Leona :( You know she's my favorite. And she was only trying to help. I know Emilie is under a huge amount of stress, but that was just mean.

    Barry...is he trying to prove something to himself? That's he's still a studly man? His red headed beauty seems to be impressed with him. And he probably doesn't even remember any of it, lol.

    Lots of things happening, already, and they haven't even left, yet. Intriguing cast of characters with different personalities and interests. I look forward to seeing how they all interact with each other on the vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sandy.

    Paige seems to be one of those girls that always needs another man's attention and doesn't seem to care how or what she has to do in order to get it.

    Emilie, I think, was just frightened by the whole situation. It wasn't what she was expecting and the shock just made her flip out unexpectedly.
    I do understand that expression :D
    Oh, and by the way it's Ben and Emilie. Kevin is the gay one.

    We'll see what happens with Emilie and the baby.
    Trust me, that baby is going to be the least of her worries by the end of this vacation! lol!

    Thanks for reading. I'm halfway through writing episode 5. And will continue tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ariana.

    You do seem to have a soft spot for Leona don't you? Aww. Yes she was only trying to help, wait and you'll see it's who she is, but it always seems to land her in trouble. Poor girl.

    No it seems Barry remembers nothing of their sexual encounter - you don't know, maybe nothing happened and Paige is lying... :S

    Thanks for reading. They are very interesting characters to write about - it is difficult to make sure they are different though, a lot of hard work! :D

    ReplyDelete